Monday, March 29, 2010

Really? Seriously?

Let me take you back to yesterday.  We had a great morning at church, great lunch and playtime after church, a GREAT nap, then a unwanted good bye to daddy at the airport, but we both knew it was going to be a better week this week.  It had to be, it really couldn't get any worse, I mean four doctor visits in five days last week, it had to be better.  Boy were we quickly, and I mean quickly, shown otherwise.  Once we left Ben, I thought I'd take the girls to Target.  Whitney needed a new bike helmet and she likes to look at all the toys.  Then I thought I'd take them to McDonald's for dinner and let Whitney play a little bit in the playground.  I warned Whitney not to crawl up the slides, you know kids, they always want to do that and so I try to always tell her not to everytime we go to a playground.  Well, I was on the phone and feeding Lindsey, next thing I know, I hear whimpering coming from the only child in there, my child.  Keep in mind, by this time, Ben is barely in the air.  She tells me she fell on her shoulder and is crying, not terribly, but she wouldn't really stop, which for her is huge because she usually doesn't cry when she gets hurt.  I mean, I've seen this child take it to the face on concrete and only cry for like 30 seconds.  Crying is not her thing.  After talking with her I realize that she was indeed crawling up the slide when this happened because, in her words, "she couldn't find the path to the pink slide".  So in her little mind since she couldn't find the path at the top to the pink slide to go down, she would just climb up the pink slide and then she would know where it started.  Good thought, in theory.  I kept looking over her shoulder, nothing looked weird, but it was clear it was bothering her.  I took her to our friends, Chad and Mandy's, to have them take a look.  I just wanted another set of eyes looking at it.  They didn't really see anything and she was moving it around.  Once we got home I remembered that one of our neighbors is an orthopedic doctor...BONUS!  So at 845pm we walked across the street to have him take a look.  He didn't feel anything, but when he rotated her arm across her chest, she cringed and wimpered.  He wanted us to come into his office this morning to get an x-ray.  All this to say...Whitney has a broken collarbone!  I know you want to laugh, it's ok, I did, at this point its all I can do.  It's better than any of the alternatives, tears, anger, tears, screaming, tears, punching, tears, depression, more tears, you get the idea.  In retrospect, it probably wasn't a great idea to take a child with a cast to a playground, but she had been doing so well with it...shoulda, woulda, coulda...I've already beat myself up enough...there are good lessons to be learned by mommy and daughter from this incident.  She is doing well.  This is definitly more painful for her than the finger and she can't do much with it.  For the next four weeks I have the task of trying to keep our very active 3 year old from being just that.  She isn't supposed to do anything, no tricycle, no scooter, no running, no jumping...nothing.  So much for that new bike helmet we bought. :)  She's doing well so far, but it's still hurting her, so she's not really wanting to do much.  I'd say by next week she'll be getting pretty tired of coloring, painting, puzzles, movies, cartoons, computer games, not sure how it will all work out, but I know it will.  In the mean time, tomorrow is Tuesday and we'll be making our second trip to a doctor for the week.  Lindsey is going to an ENT doctor since she has yet another double ear infection.  Six ear infections since October.  Two days, two trips to a doctor...Laugh!...you know you want to...I am...I love my girls!!!!  Sweet things!  I've decided that I refuse to let Satan win this battle.  So he can keep bringing it, but our God is bringing it bigger!

1 comment:

Henderson 5 said...

I still say she should wear the bike helmet for the next 4 weeks just to be on the safe side. :)