Ben and I usually take a trip for our anniversary at the end of June, but this year the timing just didn't quite work out, so we went last weekend to Asheville, NC to see the Biltmore Estate. The house was spectacular. It was built in 1897 and had electricity, running water and an intercom system. We toured the conservatory, billiard room, smoke room, a couple dining rooms, a couple living rooms, a music room, a few bedrooms, the kitchen, a pastry kitchen, numerous pantries and walk in refrigerators/freezers, an indoor pool and gym, and the rooms just continued on forever. I think they said it was four acres under roof. Amazing. And from the stories, it seemed as though they were down to earth people.
The city of Asheville was quite the surprise. Ben and I were expecting to see lots of oldies wandering around a little tourist trap area with maybe some cute southern shops and boutiques. Well...not so much. It seems as though Asheville might be the hippie capital of the south. There were lots of "hemp" and "natural" (whatever that means) stores, not to mention the crowd of hundreds breaking out into free music and dance on the green. I'm talking bongo drums and lighted hula hoop dancers. Classic. Not at all what we were expecting, but entertaining none the less. We were extremely grateful for the time away especially with training camp and a football season right around the corner. Big thanks to my parents for staying with the girls.
No comments:
Post a Comment