Ben and I have been on a spiritual journey, really, all our lives, but more intensely in the last couple of years. All of that became public on Sunday, June 5th, 2011 as we were baptized in small, sweet ceremony with most of our closet friends. A year or so ago when we made the choice to make Georgia our home, we immediately knew we wanted to become members of our church. But after speaking to them, we lacked being baptized after we had made our commitment to Christ at a younger age. Ben was baptized as an infant in the Presbyterian church he was raised in, but not by immersion. I was baptized in a Baptist church when I was seven, but couldn't even remember the date or really, for the most part, the experience. And I had been questioning within the last few years whether or not I should be re-baptized now that I understood more about the commitment. But we really struggled with the fact that our church, not God, was requiring us to be baptized. For the last year or so we thought about it, prayed about, talked about it with family and friends until we finally came to the conclusion, really I think it was God changing our hearts about the issue, that we wanted to make this public profession. We did it to become members of our church, so we could raise our girls telling them we were members. We did it so that they would see this as a step of obedience, so that hopefully someday they too would choose to do the same thing. We did it because we love the Lord and we felt it was time. It was the perfect way for us to do it. We had a great friend and counselor, Bruce, perform the baptism at our Sunday school teacher's pool. Most of our friends and their children were there. These people mean the world to us. They are a special group! Our girls were there, little feet splashing in the pool, waving to us as we stood in the water. After we were both baptized little Lindsey shouted, "You did it!" Such a precious moment. Such a great day. So memorable. Perfect for us.
3 comments:
*love* this post!
Just checking in today and AWESOMENESS I found!
So proud of yall. Ingle & I did when we were seniors in college! Doesn't it fill good?
Great day, great pictures! :)
Post a Comment