Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sad...but Happy!

My grandmother, my mom's mom, Edna Mitchell, passed away October 6, 2011.  She had been in the hospital for several days.  She got an infection in her blood, pneumonia, heart failure, on and on...and her quality of life had been worsening for the last eight years, but especially the last few years.  She was a sweet old lady.  She loved the Lord with all her heart, soul and mind, just like He calls us to do.  She was a prayer warrior, I mean, really.  That lady always prayed.  We would tease about her lengthy prayers blessing the Thanksgiving or Christmas meal, or even just breakfast on a regular day.  She prayed.  She unwrapped presents so slowly.  We got a kick out of "making" her get crazy and actually tear into a present.  She didn't like it, she wanted to save the paper.  And speaking of saving, she would wrap up and save every, last, tiny morsel of food.  She was funny that way.  She was a sweet old lady, that I am happy to call my grandma.  She endured much in the time that I was able to understand, heart break, declining health, then better again, then not, and so forth and so on.  Through it all I never heard her ask "Why me?" or ever, ever doubt the Lord's provision over her life.  She was a great example and one that I probably didn't take too good advantage of while she was here.  What a comfort it is for me and all my family to know that she is dancing and singing with her Savior!  It is where she was meant to be and where she was always looking forward to going.  I love thinking about her up there having a grand time and smiling down on us.  We love you Grandma and miss you, but we are so happy you are at peace now and at rest with the Most High!
The day of her funeral was a beautiful fall day.  Bright sunshine, good temperatures, wispy clouds.  Just after the graveside service I looked up and saw this tiny glimpse of a rainbow.  It was there for just a minute or two.  My favorite moment of the day.

No comments: