Monday, November 24, 2008

Good News and Bad News

It's been awhile again and much has happened since the last time I posted, so I will apoligize now for this lengthy post. For starters, you may or may not know that I have had two brief hospital stays since October with kidney stones. No, the pain has not been as bad as labor, but only because I haven't let it get that far. Each time I thought I was having symptoms of a bladder infection and knew something wasn't right. So, I have been able to seek treatment before I could fully experience the pain. Darn! Long story short, I have them (still), but am without pain (for now), and there is nothing they can do about them until after the baby is born (20 more weeks). Oh, and by the way, there is one just hanging out in my kidney that is 1.4 cm...yes that is centimeters, not millimeters...Yikes! Onto more exciting things...

Today I am 20 weeks...half way there! And we are growing each day. I can feel the baby move alot more now and Ben has even been able to feel it kick and move around.


Now, do you want the good news or bad news first? Ok, good...IT'S A GIRL!!! Yep, we found out today that Whitney is going to have a little sister. Ben "knew" all along and has figured out that he is best equipped to father little girls. He says it's because he's more interested in what girls talk about rather than "guy talk". I don't know if I agree with that as you can really get him going about dirt bikes and such. I must say though that he is a great daddy to that little girl that's already here! At any rate, we are extremely excited to have this little baby girl on her way and even more excited that she seems to be healthy. All measurements and blood tests have come back great. Praise God! Whitney seems to be excited as well. Soon after the ultrasound we got her to say "sister". It, of course, was really cute.
And the bad news...

This is Ben's foot, big toe, wrapped...Unforntunately, Ben injured his toe in the game this past Sunday. He stepped on someone else's foot with his toe and basically bent it back, hard towards his ankle. It happened late in the third quarter and he tried to walk it off, but wasn't able to finish the game. After x-rays and an MRI we found out today that he will require surgery and therefore his season is over. Some of you may have heard of "turf toe", well this is the worst kind of turf toe you can get. The problem is in the joint where the big toe and the foot meet. There are two little bones on the bottom of this joint that are supposed to have ligaments attached to them. Ben's, at the time, are either unattached, torn, shredded...whatever you want to call it, but they aren't how they should be. We are currently waiting to schedule the surgery with a specialist in Charlotte, probably early next week. After that he will have a 4-6 month recovery process. Ben's spirits are good, dissappointed, but good. The focus now is to get healed and get healthy the right way the first time as turf toe can be a lingering injury if it is not given proper healing time. If you think of it, please keep him in your prayers to stay encouraged and patient during the process. He is already getting antsy!

My hope is to not have this long a post again...thanks for sticking it out. Blessings to all!

No comments: