Some of my girlfriends from Georgia came up to visit over the weekend and we all had a girls trip in New York City. We stayed in a brownstone in Brooklyn so we could live like "real" New Yorkers. :) We all had a blast and well, I think we all need a vacation from our vacation. We hit it pretty hard, up late, up early, but there were things to do I tell 'ya!
Thursday (Arrival Day): We quickly dropped our stuff at the apartment in Brooklyn and headed into the city via subway to hopefully make to the 4:30 taping of the Jimmy Fallon Show. (Just a side note here, the subway became our best friend on this trip, useful, entertaining, enlightening and I'm sure a few unmentionable things, but we had that thing licked by the end of the trip!) Back to Jimmy Fallon, Mandy signed up for the free tickets, we all just thought it would be something interesting to see and do.
Here we are waiting in line to go into the stage and our cute little, purple wristbands. I'll reference names once here for those who don't know these great girls! L to R: Andrea, Pamela, me, Mandy, Kim
We were, along with other people, pulled out of line to be dancers in the background for the band performing on the show that night. What! Oh my, we didn't know what to expect, but we were determined to make ourselves the best backup dancers "Pavement" had ever seen! That's right, Pavement? Turns out they are band full of screamers, not quite our cup of sweet tea, but it was an experience none the less. Oh, and we couldn't just be on the risers on the sides of the band where we could fade away behind the die-hards, no, we got the lucky draw and were front and center, directly behind the band, I'm talking 2 feet behind the drummer, like, in clear view of the cameras...I don't know if we'll ever be able to live that one down...
After our humiliation, although at that point we weren't really humiliated, it hadn't aired yet, we headed to Little Italy to drown our sorrows with delicious food and dessert. I mean, let's be honest, besides the great fellowship, this trip was about the FOOD!
One of the many streets in Little Italy. They were having a huge festival to celebrate one of the saints.
This is from dessert at Farrara's, any kind of scrumptious pastry you can think of. I don't know where we had dinner, but it was amazing!
Friday: Big sight seeing day, Grand Central, Chrysler Building, New York Public Library, Bryant Park, Carnegie Deli, 5th Avenue, Central Park...and since we were now so famous, we made it our goal to get on tv as much as possible throughout the weekend...
As we were leaving the public library the super classy show, Inside Edition, was interviewing people concerning the salary of the CEO of the library. Andrea, Mandy and Kim all participated.
Then in Times Square another super classy show, Extra, was interviewing the lead singer of Motley Crue, Vince Neil, so we snuck in the background of that shot.
At Grand Central Station
Inside the New York Public Library...You should totally go here if you are ever in NYC, I know it sounds cheesy to go to a library, but it is so beautiful and peaceful.
A building at Bryant Park, this happens to be one of Ben's favorite buildings in the city
Central Park
The Mecca, at least for Andrea and Pamela
Ok, seriously, this is one sandwich, a pastrami reuben, from Carnegie Deli. We split them, I couldn't even eat my half. It was amazing though!
Later that night we met up with one of Mandy and Kim's friend, Julie, and went to see the show Mama Mia! It was super...laugh, cry...just entertained. And we were blessed to see funniest ticket taker at the end of the show. For the closing number he was at the back of the theatre doing every single dance move, I mean, I haven't laughed that hard in forever! It's really hard to explain, but I had to write something in here about it because when I am 90 years old I want to be reminded of this moment. It was hysterical!
Saturday: Run across the Brooklyn Bridge, Chelsea Market, Ground Zero, Battery Park, Butter!
What an awesome thing to do, running across the Brooklyn Bridge. This really is something everyone should do. The view was spectacular and it was actually quite peaceful up there above the traffic. Really a cool thing, probably my favorite thing we did...maybe...
Before the run
Getting ready to start
Super cool
Waiting for the subway after the run...we spent some time here at this stop...
After we got cleaned up we headed to breakfast at Mandy and Kim's friend, Julie's, friends apartment in the East Village. She lived on the top floor, 6 flights of (straight up) stairs, no elevator and had an amazing view from her roof top terrace. Probably won't ever get to do something like that again.
Then we headed to Chelsea Market to shop around and eat. Lots of cute little stores and fun, delicious food. Oh, and cupcakes too...we have no shame!
Then to Ground Zero. This cross is probably my favorite thing in the city. I'm not a real artsy person, but this is just a beautiful thing.
Battery Park
Ok, now for really probably the best part of mine and Mandy's trip. We went to eat at a restaurant called Butter. The chef is Alex Guarnaschelli, she is on Food Network. We like her. And she was there that night. Not just there, but like, there, cooking. Our food. Wow! And when we asked our waitress if she could pull some strings...she did.
Yeah, that's us, with her. She came out at chatted for like, 10 minutes. I think she liked all of us :) Very cool! And the food was not too shabby!
Here we are before dinner...who knew what our future would hold!
Sisters
At our table
Sunday: Last day, but not before a run in Central Park and a bagel...finally!
I guess Kim was the only one we got running. Let me tell you, she is a beast (in a good way), she ran 6 miles and wasn't even breathing hard or sweating!
Saying good bye. What a great weekend!
It was an awesome weekend! Thanks to my parents for watching our girls and to all of the friends, family members, hubbies, whoever for making it possible on the Georgia side. I am so blessed in every way!
3 comments:
Love love love this post. Laughed out loud several times. Definitely some lifetime memories! And how much do I love our pic with Alex!!!! Love ya girl.
bowdie texted ben last night and told him i said that the red carpet has nothing on being a backup dancer for pavement! ha! love love loved everything about our weekend!!! :)
I just sat here and smiled all through this post! Love all the memories we made and so blessed to be able to come...most fun I've had (except on family trips) in a LONG time!!! I think I need another cupcake and to go run 100 more times to make up for all that I ate!
Post a Comment