Physically the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Wow. Last Sunday I ran and finished my first half marathon throughout downtown Atlanta. I've been training since the week after Christmas. I trained in four different states, through different terrains and different climates. All and all, the training went great. Unfortunately, I was on antibiotics and steroids the week of the race for a cough and sinus infection. So my confidence was down as well as not being in tip top shape. But still, the goal for the race was to run the whole thing and finish in 2 hours and 30 minutes. It went well. I finished. I did it. But, I didn't at all finish the way I wanted to. The course was soooo hilly, way more than expected. At mile 9 I looked at my running partner, Christa, and said I didn't think I could do it. She was a great encourager and kept me going, albeit slower than earlier on. I could tell my body was not liking what was happening. My legs were tingly and I just didn't feel right. Well, at mile 12 (only 1.1 miles to go) my calves cramped up and I fell. Thankfully, not hard and I didn't get hurt. After just a few minutes, I started walking just enough to work the cramps out and then ran to end to finish the dang thing! I crossed the finish line in 2:31. So had I not fallen I totally would have made my goal. So there is redemption in my future! That being said, I am so thankful for the experience. It really was a ton of fun. I loved the whole atmosphere and the whole process from beginning to end. What a challenge! I'm so thankful for my hubby for his support during training and on race day, being out there with the girls at 6:30am. It was such an energy boost to see them at mile 5. Now I get to just enjoy running (Ben says, "if that's even possible") for a few months until I decide when I'm going to tackle the next one...preferably without falling or walking. :)
The sweet kiddos. Bless their little hearts!
All smiles at the start!
More smiles at mile 5. Can you tell we were happy to see them!?
About to turn the corner to see the finish line. Not so much smiles anymore :)
Me and Christa with our medals! D-O-N-E!
Pictures from the professionals...group photo at the beginning and me towards the end.




2 comments:
Congratulations! Look forward to running the next one with you!
So proud of you and everyone else! I know that must have been disappointing, but at least you did finish it and still in a great time. And to think that I remember hearing you say not too long ago that you were not a runner...look at you now! Congrats!!
Post a Comment